- Lossless compression preserves all original data of the image. Because of this, you can only reduce file size so much.
- Lossless compression is best applied for images that include text as all data is preserved
- Lossy compression permanently removes part of the original data (often redundant) information.
- With lossy compression you can drastically reduce file size, far more than lossless.
- Lossy compression is often applied to JPG images, audio, and video formats.
- Losslessly compression is often applied to GIF and PNG images
Compressor.IO - Online Image Compressor
Compressor.io is completely free and is perhaps the best image lossy and losslessly compressor tool on the web. The image formats currently supported are JPEG, PNG, SVG and GIF. All you have to do is upload your image to the site and it will be compressed within seconds. Once compression is complete, the site will display the percentage of reduction and a link to download your compressed image. Above the download link, the site displays your image with a slider to view the visual quality difference. This web tool does such a great job at optimizing your images that you often see no difference in visual quality. Just keep in mind that with lossy compression, since parts of data are deleted, the difference in visual quality is sometimes noticeable. I've managed to decrease the file size of my website logo by 59%! Go ahead and try it for yourself and start improving your website speed performance.
Please consider donating any amount to support Stephane Lyver, the developer behind Compressor.IO I am sure it took several months of work and endless hours of coding to develop such an useful and powerful tool. Follow the link below to donate